Inspiration. Good old inspiration can come from anywhere and at the most unexpected times. Despite the dazed and confused weather here in LA, I can slowly but surely see the signs of fall coming in.
That cool and fragrant fall breeze is finally starting to blow as the sun begins to set, and different people from all over begin to show a demeanor that’s slightly warmer than usual even…yay!
Grocery stores have finally stocked up on squash-like veggies, sweet potatoes, fresh and luscious apples, and—you get the point.
For me this equals to more time in the kitchen than I’ve been used to for the past several months. Something about this season makes me want to bake and make desserts forever and ever--for no apparent reason! (Okay I admit, eating the baked goodies is definitely an incentive) And I just want to give away said goodies to as many people as I come across.
Lucky for me, we’ve been having more company lately since everyone wants to meet little Selah. And that my friends, is a beautiful thing! I love having company and feeding them random things I can find in the fridge because of my Korean ways of not being able to see anybody less than stuffed. This coming week I’ll be having some friends over, and I’m more prepared than ever as I’ll be offering them decadent and finger lickin’ snacks.
Like, they literally might have to lick their fingers because it will be a gooey messy party over here!
So as you can see, my taste buds and foodie brain have been working over-time due to all these bits of inspiration. But I am me and…you know me….90% of the time I can’t help myself but make dessert slightly healthier than usual, especially if it means that I’m giving it to loved ones. The secret ingredient to this fabulously creamy apple dip?
White beans. Doh!
Before you exit this page which I’m sure you weren’t contemplating anyway—hear me out! The white beans that I’m using are Great Northern beans, which are super mild in flavor and texture. Once it’s ground up nice and smooth, it is hardly detectable. So have yourself a great day filled with foamy lattes and lots of joy, friends!
Creamy Caramelized Apple Dip
Makes approximately 3 1/2-4 Cups
- 1 C chopped apple (about 1/2” cubes)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 C canned Great Nothern beans, rinsed
- 1 C Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1/2 C brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oil on a skillet on medium heat. Cook the apple pieces until they’re slightly caramelized, toss them every now and then. Set aside and let it cool down.
- Grab your food processor and process the beans to a creamy consistency. Scrape sides if needed throughout the process.
- Add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon and process until everything is incorporated evenly.
- Add the apple pieces in the processor and pulse about 3-4 times to get the apple roughly chopped. It doesn’t have to be smooth as you want tiny bits of apple in the creamy dip. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve with pretzels, fruit, or cookies!
In my humble opinion, the cheesy flavor along with the apples and spices make this dip to die for. It is not tooth achingly sweet which is always a plus in my [recipe] book!
Other fall desserts of possible interest:
- Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin buckwheat bake- Edible Perspective
- Banana bread mini loaf- Peanut Butter Fingers
- Pumpkin nutella donuts- Something Swanky
- Cinnamon coffee cake- Saveur
Do you always feel ready in terms of providing food for your guests?
What are your favorite things to serve your loved ones?